Monday, April 23, 2012

EASY HERBED CRACKERS

Easy Herbed Crackers
Hello, today I was wanted crackers to go with my cheese. I already had a quantity of seasoned bread crumbs that I made earlier to bread chicken, fish, etc. I have no recipe, but I know how to cook. Thank God.  So let's get busy.:))

 Preheat oven to 350
2 cups bread crumbs
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (can use white)
2 tsp baking soda
1/8 cup of sesame seeds (optional)
1/8 cup of oil.  I used Ghee (butter that has been clarified)
Water...add enough to make it like a watery pancake batter
Herbs, your choice.  I used rosemary, garlic, a pinch of crushed peppers and parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Put about one cup of this batter (more or less depending on the size of baking pan) on a greased baking sheet spreading evenly about 1/8 inch covering the whole pan. 
Bake at 375 for about 10-15 min, or until golden brown and edges begin to lift off pan.  Take out and cut to size with kitchen scissors or a knife while it is still hot and cutable.   Flip over and bake the other side for 5 more min.

The bread crumbs is any leftover, stale bread that I collect before it goes bad, in my freezer.   When I have enough to work with I crumble and season it. I store in in a airtight container for later use.  Sometimes, its whole grain, sourdough, or maybe just white bread. But it is always a combination of different breads.  Remember waste not want not? 

It took less than 5 min to prepare.  The rest is pour and bake. They are a healthy snack and an alternative to any junk food or chips.  They are high in fiber too.  I got over 2 lbs of healthy whole wheat crackers for less than $1.00. Nice huh?  Sorry Trader Joe's I got my own snacks.:))

Now where's my cheese?  What?  Cheese in my crackers?  Yes, the last batch, I added freshly grated parmesan cheese to my batter.  Yum. It was a nice addition.
Be creative make your own.  I would be glad to hear any comments and see what you made. 
Have fun saving money and eating healthy in your kitchen.  I wish you many blessings.
Thank you for your interest
Mary Helen

No comments: