Friday, February 3, 2012

CANNING BLACK BEANS

HOME CANNED BLACK BEANS

I just realized I titled this canning black beans while in fact you can can any beans using the same method.  Silly me.  Well yesterday I put my black beans to soak for 24 hours.

 Why soak beans?
  1. It will boost the nutritional value up 20%. And that is a lot more protein, calcium and minerals by just soaking.
  2. You get rid of some of the indigestible complex sugars that cause gas.
  3. It also allows for quicker cooking. We do know that quicker cooking equals less nutritional loss right? Good.:)
NOTE:
Usually I soak my beans to a almost a sprouting level which takes anywhere from 24-48 hours. You do have to rinse the beans with fresh water at least 3-4 times a day.

Why can my beans? They are so cheap. Why?
  1. Cooking beans properly takes at least 24 hours, so it saves a lot of prep time.
  2. It's a lot cheaper than buying canned beans.
  3. A good source of instant protein
  4. It's energy efficient
  5. It's healthy fast food
CANNING:
Note:  Make sure all jars lids and rims are clean and sterile to avoid any bacterial growth.
I have my lids simmering till ready for use.

  • Filled jar 3/4 full with beans. Topped with bean broth leaving one in head-space (follow your canner's instructions)
  • Remove any air bubbles around the edges.
  • Wipe rims clean with a damp not wet towel.  (Very important)
  • Fill canner 3-4 inches water simmering, adding 1 tbsp vinegar to prevent jar from getting cloudy
  • Cover jars with hot lids, and seal tightly by hand only.
  • I used 12 ounce jars so I am pressure canning for 70 minutes on high.
  • Once the safety lock has released, remove jars with proper utensils and put on towel. Be careful not to burn yourself.
  • Now anytime soon if not already you should hear that all time favorite canners sound... Pop!  That's the sign of a good seal.



Note: the picture below is a sign of a properly sealed jar.  See the indentation in the middle?  Good.:)

Note:  The picture below if you look carefully the middle of the lid has a round bump.  It hasn't sealed yet.  But it will.  However if you still see that bump once it has cooled.  Something went wrong.  It is best to refrigerate the goods and use it as soon as possible
Well for 2 lbs of beans which cost me a couple of dollars I got 9, 12 ounce jars of canned black beans.  8 jars fit in the canner and I froze the other one.  You can do that with canning jars IF you leave head space.   Otherwise it would burst.  I also got  another 16 oz of cooked black beans that I didn't can and is ready to use any way I wan't.  
I'm thinking tortilla soup for one.
Folks I hope this helps any then i'm a happy camper...
Peace and happy canning.:))

7 comments:

Birds Hill Enterprises said...

Do you cook the beans before you can them? Or do the soaked beans cook up when being canned?

Maria Vasquez said...

Hi Caroline, now that's a very good question. It's good to know someone is paying attention and reading my work. Yes, I cook my beans at a rolling boil for only 10 minutes prior to canning. To avoid any accidents as I am prone to, I let is cool just a little before I put the beans in the jar. Reserve the bean broth to top off your jars. Thank you and happy canning.

Maria Vasquez said...

BTW Caroline, yes you can use the soaked beans directly in to the canning jar. It's the same procedure, however, you rinse the soaked beans, put them in the jar and top with water. Personally, I have never done it, as I like to spice up my beans prior to canning. That way I know exactly what it's going to taste like when I open it.

Sgdesign@new.rr.com said...

Do you have to use a pressure canner or can they be water bath canned?

Maria Vasquez said...

Hi, Sgdesign... This is a very good question. However, because this is a low acidic food, it MUST be pressure canned in a pressure canner. Unfortunately the water bath canning method is NOT suitable to can beans. It would allow bacteria to grow that would definitely get you sick. You can look in thrift stores, Yard sales, local ads. There is always someone, somewhere getting rid of one. I hope this answers your question. Good Luck and God Bless.
Mary Helen

DebraEmanon said...

Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I'm in the process of canning black beans this morning....keeping my fingers crossed on a successful "canning day".

Maria Vasquez said...

DebraEmanon, Think Positive, my canning black beans was very successful. I hope it was a great experience for you. Welcome to the world of canning. Many Blessings.