Saturday, December 22, 2012

Tortillas, Eggs, And Cheese = Quick Chilaquiles=quick breakfast in one pan

Yummy breakfast chilaquiles, all made in one pan.  Think
of it like a tastier quesadilla or enchilada with a twist.

Well this is what I cooked to feed my hungry mouths today.  All I had was three eggs and four unexpected mouths to feed.  Well to stretch the food out and still make it tasty, filling and really cheap, I added corn tortillas.  

I know there are many variations in making chilaquiles.  I like them with chicken, olives and cheese, or with green chili, cheese, and a white sauce. Yummy.  Anyway, back to this breakfast quick one pot dish. Besides the main ingredients, using the right spices is key to making anything taste good.  This is what I did.

Ingredients:
  • Corn tortillas 6-8 cut into two inch strips
  • Eggs 3
  • Cheese 1/4 cup (white or yellow)
  • Oil 1/8 cup
  • Chorizo 1/2 sausage (Mexican sausage, I used soy and found it at the dollar store(optional)
  • Onion 1/2 chopped small
  • Garlic 1-2 cloves
  • Salt to taste or chicken bullion like Knorr
  • Pepper to taste
  • Cayenne Red pepper 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed or powder (optional)
  • Chili powder 1 teaspoon (optional)

Instructions:

  • In a large skillet heat oil on medium/high.  Fry tortillas till crispy and remove to a dish.
  • Add onions and garlic to skillet and brown
  • Add chorizo, cook till brown.
  • Add tortillas back to the pan, mix lightly
  • Add eggs and stir in spices.  cover till eggs are cooked
  • Top with cheese and serve warm. 
I was able to stretch out the three eggs to feed four, and this meal probably cost about $2.00  Well everyone here is now a happy camper, especially me.  I hope you can use this chilachiles for breakfast, or any time of day.  It works, and is tasty too.  Well, till the next time, many blessings.

Sincerely,

Mary Helen
Post a Comment