Thursday, August 22, 2013

SALADITOS AKA SALTED PLUMS

I remember running around with the other kids on the block sucking on salted plums as a little girl.  I forgot all about them until someone mentioned them and how expensive they are now for just a few dried plums.  I thought since I had a bag of dried but soft prunes I would make some.  They came out wonderful.  So with that, I thought I'd share. This is not for all folks but 4 dried prunes holds a lot of potassium.

Ingredients:  
  • One bag soft dried prunes. Pitted is best but not necessary
  • One cup salt
  • 1teaspoon citric acid (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper (Optional)
Instructions:
  • Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.  
  • Add prunes and mix well. 
  • Let sit 3 hours in the bowl. Then brush off excess salt
  • Put on a cookie sheet and bake on low till done about 3 hours
  • Store in a air tight container once cooled.
It makes a great stocking stuffer, or a nice tray at a party.or to just reminesque old time memories. Just pop one of these salty sour dried plums.  It would make every hair on your body stand on its ends.  Lol.

 Well, for those interested now you know how easy it is to make.  Please feel free to share with others on facebook, or Pinterest, or your own collection of recipes...be my guest.  Thanks for stopping by.  Till the next time...many blessings.

Sincerely,

Mary Helen

6 comments:

Angellart said...

Literally eating one in the middle of a lemon on a roadtrip back home to Ft Worth. I bought a few sad tiny ones and am definitely going to try my own batch! Thank you for this!!

Pat said...

I’ve made these several times I don’t put the pepper on them just the salt and citric acid and they are the perfect snack. My brothers tried them and told me they remind them of the ones when we were kids, only better without the seeds..... thank you for this recipe. Pat

Pat said...

I’ve made these several times I don’t put the pepper on them just the salt and citric acid and they are the perfect snack. My brothers tried them and told me they remind them of the ones when we were kids, only better without the seeds..... thank you for this recipe. Pat

Anonymous said...

This is great. I’e been searching all over the net for a recipe. One question, however:

What is the amount in a “bag” of dried plums? I don’t want to use too much or too little salt.

BK said...

I don't know what she considers to be a "bag"; but, I use two 6oz bags, for 12 oz total. I also do not use a full cup of salt. I use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sea salt. Since I don't have citric acid, I just squeeze in about 1/2 lemon and mix it all together with my hands. After the saladitos are done drying out, I put about 1/4 cup of salt in a coffee grinder and blend the salt into a fine powder. I then shake the saladitos and fine salt powder in a large ziploc bag to coat them.

I also make a second batch of the saladitos enchilados. To the salt and lemon mix at the beginning, I add about 1 tsp of Tajin seasoning and 1/2 tsp. of cayenne chile powder. Then, after dry, I add a little bit of the salt powder and chile de arbol chile powder (you can buy in a packet) and shake all of that in a ziploc bag.

Everyone seems to love them. I hope this helps!

Sheri said...

OMG I miss these in oranges. I have moved to NC and can not find them anywhere thank you for this recipe. I will now make my own saladitos!